2006-08-17

I Am

OK. I've finally given in and created a blog so that I could rant about things in a socially accepted (and popular) forum.

Up to this point I have had no interest in blogging. I'm not very consistent at anything over the long term, especially something journalish and I was more interested in publishing more of a technical writing than an opinion column.

First I did "content management systems" like PHP-Nuke, Post-Nuke and Drupal. Those have their place, but they feel empty without an active community.

Next I got into writing up my insights into a third person form on a wiki for others to learn from or improve upon (edit). I still appreciate wiki sites, but I didn't want to rant on one just to have someone edit my opinions so here I am.

I don't know what this blog will become. The odds are that it will be a neglected collection of sporadic rants of things that annoyed me to the point of writing. I am a code hacking (white hat) open source fan who daylights as a computer programmer and GNU / Linux systems and network administrator with a Windows XP desktop. Most of my thoughts will likely be focused around those topics.

I've gone to the blogspot/blogger (and other blog hosting site) signup pages before when I've had something I felt like ranting about, but picking a name has been a bit of a road block. As I was thinking about what to name this blog, I thought "why do people blog, anyway". Some do it for popularity, and others for a little money (if they are really popular and have advertising, or are promoting something) but mostly I think we do it to say "hey, I am here."

I finally committed to blogging and picked a name with the thought "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am.) unfortunately even though iam.blogspot.com isn't a site, they wouldn't let me have that URL, so permalinks will be to iam-jla.blogspot.com

No comments: